Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2016

The Geography of Madness - Author should have remained objective 2 Stars


The Geography of Madness: Penis Thieves, Voodoo Death, and the Search for the Meaning of the World's Strangest SyndromesThe Geography of Madness: Penis Thieves, Voodoo Death, and the Search for the Meaning of the World's Strangest Syndromes by Frank Bures
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I received an advance reader copy from Edelweiss/Above the Treeline, but discovered when reading that I was only given the first chapter. I have to say that I was very interested in reading this title, but not so much after reading the first chapter. My anticipation was that the author would remain objective, but I found in the first chapter that he was becoming personally involved in the madness and convinced there was something real in the penis thief situation. I am sure the author was sincere, but I am not comfortable with the author adding to the madness rather than simply reporting. I agree that to look down upon the believers as being ridiculous is not an effective method of reporting either, but I do not agree to the subjective method of reporting he has chosen. This is not a title I would recommend my library system purchase unless requested by a patron.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment