Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - will a younger generation love them as much?


The Many Loves of Dobie GillisThe Many Loves of Dobie Gillis by Max Shulman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis by Max Shulman is being re-released. I loved Duane Hickman as Dobie on TV when I was a kid, and read these stories when I was a bit older. So, for me, this is a trip down memory lane. Will my trip be one shared by the teens of today?

The lovable Dobie Gillis was always looking for an angle. He was a pretty average kid - average intelligence, average ability, average looks. He tended not to excel in really anything, and what he did need to do was usually something he would rather avoid. So, rather than take the straightforward route, Dobie would try to find a way out of homework, obligations, helping Dad at the store, etc. He was easily talked into any kind of scheme, especially by one of his loves. The results were typically hilarious. Unlike other schemers, Dobie Gillis almost always was caught and had to suffer the consequences.

I just love the stories and find them hilarious. Dobie always seems to be just on the verge of making everything work when something goes wrong. He always trusts the wrong person, even when he argues against the plan himself.

So, here is the question: The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis was written in the 40's and 50's. And, the situations are true to that era. Will the humor translate to those born in the 90's or 2000's? I love them and hope others will as well. I know they will appeal to those of us who remember black and white television. I sure hope they appeal to others. These are so funny and witty. Give them a try.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment